The aim of the position is to assist with the School Readiness Project, helping children having a positive start to school.
The project engages children and families in the six months prior to starting kindergarten through weekly playgroup sessions. These sessions will include developmentally-appropriate activities that contribute to increased healthy development by focusing on the cognitive, physical, social, and emotional wellbeing of
Before children start school, we focus on early literacy and numeracy, and school routines, including introducing families to the school environment (bell, toilets, lunch box and classrooms etc).
Playgroups are part of school events. We work with the local sector to refer families to services such as housing, health and family support as needed. Our partnership with the Metro Migrant Resource Centre ensures that families receive the support they need. Caseworkers, Settlement Services worker and Family Support Workers will attend groups on a regular basis.
This position will be required to help with set up, hands-on running of the program, and help with pack up.
Punchbowl Public School: Mondays 9:30am – 11am
Chester Hill Public School: Wednesdays 9:30am – 11am
Yagoona Public School: Thursdays 9:30am – 11am
Sefton Infants School: Fridays 9:30am – 11am
Time required: 4–5 hours per week
Duration of project: ongoing in school terms
Coordinator, Early Childhood Care and Development
Essential skills and/or experience
A successful playgroup assistant will have:
- a commitment to Save the Children Australia’s purpose and values
- a strong ability to provide high levels of customer service with both internal and external stakeholders
- initiative, flexibility and the ability to work independently, as well as in a team
- ownership and accountability of one’s work
- high levels of confidentiality and integrity (relating to both data and verbal communication)
Confirmed volunteers will be required to:
- Give permission for Save the Children Australia to undertake a National Police Record.
- Read and accept the Save the Children Australia Volunteer Code of Conduct and Child Protection Policy.