Volunteering as a Shift Supervisor is a fun, rewarding and fulfilling experience. You'll be supervising the daily operations of the Save the Children West Ryde op shop, with the support of the NSW Retail Operations Manager.
Our op shops welcome a diverse team with varied skill sets. You will be able to assist other volunteers who are learning the ropes, as well as creating a fun, happy and warm store environment that our volunteers love to work in and our customers love to shop in.
This position requires the Shift Supervisor to:
- lead a team of fellow volunteers within a cohesive environment
- ensure all new volunteer paperwork is completed and inductions carried out
- manage merchandise according to guidelines including sorting, quality control, pricing and rotation
- present merchandise in a clear and accessible manner, with consideration to safety
- manage financial procedures, including overseeing cash registers, reconciliation of sales and cash in till each day and managing cash float, petty cash and banking arrangements
- manage of sales reporting (daily sales reports, etc)
- manage the operational procedures of the shop including skip bins, building amenities, opening and closing procedures, volunteer roster, regular communication with other shift supervisors and between Head Office and all volunteer staff
- liaise with NSW Retail Operations Manager on the general requirements of the shop, eg signage, shop consumables, repairs and maintenance required
- perform shop duties including assisting customers, processing sales, sorting donations, cleaning and maintaining the shop
- apply safe workplace practices
- participate in relevant training and meetings including shop supervisors' meetings
2F Ryedale Rd
West Ryde NSW
Store opening hours:
Mon-Sat: 9am – 4.30pm
Sun: 10am – 4pm
NSW Retail Operations Manager
- help us to support the local community and meet new people.
- it's a happy, positive and vibrant place to work.
- you'll learn new skills while using your existing ones.
- you'll find out more about the issues affecting vulnerable communities both in Australia and overseas.
Essential skills and/or experience
A shift supervisor should:
- be punctual, reliable and neatly presented
- able to work 9am – 5pm between one to five days per week
- have an honest, happy and helpful disposition
- be able to work independently and as part of a team
- have well-developed interpersonal and communication skills
- be able to lead a team and model appropriate behaviour
- be good with figures
Desired skills and/or experience
- previous experience in retail and/or leadership roles
- previous customer service experience
- Induction (essential)
- Orientation (essential)
- Training (as required)
Confirmed volunteers will be required to:
- Give permission for Save the Children to undertake a National Police Record Check and provide 100 points of identification
- Read and accept the Save the Children Volunteer Code of Conduct and Child Protection Policy
We are also always looking for volunteer retail assistants to join our friendly team. Retail experience is not required; however, you must be able to commit to working a 4 – 7.5 hour shift.
We know diversity makes a positive difference, and we encourage people from Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander and other diverse backgrounds to apply.